From hats and kitchenware to towelling and linen, here’s why bamboo is such a great textile for people living with cancer
Here at Live Better With, we hand-pick products that help ease symptoms and side effects and improve the quality of day-to-day life for people with cancer. And we make sure we do our homework – we work with patients, families, healthcare professionals and charities to make sure we can give the best possible information.
We receive recommendations for all kinds of products, including skincare and oral health. When it comes to clothing and headwear recommendations, bamboo is very, very popular – yep, that tall green stuff cute panda bears love to munch on.
So why is it so great for people living with cancer? Have a look below to discover the wonders of bamboo:
1) Super soft. Bamboo is to cotton what cashmere is to wool – a more soft and luxurious feel. Bamboo is an extremely resilient and durable fibre, but at the same time, it can feel beautifully soft and pleasant to the touch.
2) Breathable. Bamboo is both breathable and thermo-regulating – so it keeps you cool in hot weather and warm when the weather turns chilly. This is ideal if you are struggling to regulate your body temperature because of treatment side effects.
3) Antibacterial. This unique antibacterial quality is due to an antimicrobial bio-agent called “bamboo kun” which is found naturally in the fibre. This kun makes bamboo a naturally antibacterial, antifungal and odour resistant fibre, through multiple washings. Cotton does not have anything like this. The bamboo kun helps to reduce bacteria that thrive on clothing and human skin. It’s a great fabric for mastectomy bras to help minimise the risk of infection. Battling an infection can increase the time it takes to recover from surgery and the length of hospital stays. But mastectomy bras made from bamboo may help to protect against the risk by preventing bacteria from spreading across the skin.
4) UV protected. It offers UV protection by cutting out 98% of harmful UV rays so works well in the form of a hat, or turban during the summer months.
5) Biodegradable. Bamboo is 100% natural and biodegradable which will give peace of mind to those of you who are conscientious.
6) Combats nausea. While undergoing cancer treatment, it is quite common to have an altered sense of taste – in particular – a metallic taste to the mouth. This side-effect can be quite unpleasant and lead to nausea. Bamboo cutlery helps reduce this effect during meals as there will be no leftover taste left by metallic cutlery.
7) Hypoallergenic. The eco-friendly bamboo fibres do not irritate the skin. Gentler than many man-made fibres. Bamboo is a natural solution for you if you are experiencing irritated or sensitive skin from chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
8) Sustainable. Bamboo is one of the fastest growing plants in the world. Once harvested, bamboo can replenish itself within a year. It is a naturally prolific and resilient plant, which does not need fertilisers to boost its growth, or pesticides since bamboo is naturally pest-resistant.
9) Absorbent. This wonderful fabric helps to wick moisture away from the skin to prevent perspiration. In fact, it is three times more absorbent than cotton. If you have night sweats, bamboo pyjamas are a fantastic solution.
10) Versatile. This plant is pretty incredible. From hats and pyjamas to underwear, towelling and bed sheets, bamboo should definitely be on your radar if you are looking for a comfortable, high-quality fabric to wear during cancer treatment.
And if you’re looking for stylish bamboo options, we have a few ideas…